French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said late on Saturday that Israel's decision to send ground forces into Gaza after a week of heavy air bombardments was a 'dangerous military escalation'.
Britain has also called for an immediate ceasefire.
Earlier, Prime Minister Gordon Brown urged his Israeli counterpart Ehud Olmert in a telephone call to stop military action in Gaza, according to the Brown's office.
However, the US State Department, revealing a sharp difference in tone with European countries, said any Gaza ceasefire must not allow a return to the status quo.
Outgoing US President George W. Bush had earlier said that the Israeli strikes were launched in self-defense. The attacks came after a six-month ceasefire lapsed between Hamas and Israel on December 19.
France, which held the rotating EU presidency until December 31, 2008, went further, with Kouchner saying, "France condemns Israel's ground offensive against Gaza just as it condemns the continued rocket attacks." However, the EU presidency now led by the Czech Republic has come out in favor of the Israeli invasion.
Israel's ground attacks "complicate efforts undertaken by the international community, especially the European Union and France… to end the conflict and provide immediate aid to civilians," he said.
The French condemnation comes as the United States has not only failed to take action in the wake of the attacks, it has also blocked a new resolution sought by the UN Security Council.
The US, a staunch ally to Israel, has so far vetoed over 40 anti-Israeli resolutions sought by the council since 1972.
At least 470 Palestinians have been killed and 2750 wounded since Israel began its assault on Gaza on December 27.
- FLAŞ! ADANA'DA EMNİYET'E OPERASYON!
- KARTAL 'DAN ŞANSIZ VEDA
- ERDOĞANLA BERABER KİMLER KÖŞK'E ÇIKACAK?
- SELAM TEVHİD ÖRGÜTÜ ÜYESİ
- HUKUKSUZ UYGULAMA AYM'YE TAŞINDI
- CUMHURBAŞKANLIĞI DENETLEME MAKAMI DEĞİLDİR
- ÇOK KONUŞULACAK BİR İDDİA?
- TÜRKİYE'Yİ PKK MI KORUYOR
- YOLSUZLUK AÇIKLAMASI TWİTTER'I SALLADI
- IŞİD VE ALMANYA'DAN BAHSETMEDİ
- ALMANYA'YA NEDEN DAYILANMIYORSUN?
- TÜRK POLİSİ HİÇ BU KADAR AŞAĞILANMAMIŞTI
- "TÜRKİYE'Yİ ABD VE İNGİLTERE DE DİNLİYOR"
- MEYDAN OKUMASINI DA DUYMAZDAN GELDİLER
- TÜRKİYE'Yİ DİNLEMESİNİ HİÇ ANMADI
France condemns Israeli ground assault
France in a sharply different tone than the US, has strongly criticized Israel and condemned its ground offensive against the Gaza Strip.
Bu haber toplam 894 defa okunmuştur
- Güney Kore sapıttı
- Kadın anadan doğma metroya bindi
- Yavru filin can mücadelesi
- Müşterileri sevişen taksici şok geçirdi
- Kadınların 7 zayıf noktasıKadınların, erkekler tarafından sıklıkla gereksiz alışveriş ve dedikodu yapan, kıskanç ve gururlu yaratıklar olduğu düşünülür. Açıklayabiliriz ! Hepsinin bir nedeni var...
- 'Yetenek Sizsiniz'de Hülya Avşar'ın Yerine Yeni Jüri Özgü Namal OlduAcun Ilıcalı, 'Yetenek Sizsiniz'in yeni jurisi olarak ünlü oyuncu Özgü Namal ile anlaştı.
- Uyku stiliniz ilişkiniz hakkında ipucu veriyorEşiyle sarılarak uyuyanlar veya uyurken dokunmayı tercih edenler, arada mesafe bırakarak uyuyanlara göre daha mutlu.
- Türkiye'de kadınlar 'mutsuz ve sorunlu'Kadınların en büyük eğlencesi internet ve televizyon